The scenic Hibiscus Coast runs from the Whangaparaoa Peninsula through Orewa to Waiwera and is a coastal paradise for many, with endless bays and attractions to keep you entertained. Here are our top five activities and things to do while you're in the Hibiscus Coast.
1. Visit the Best Beaches in the Hibiscus Coast
The Hibiscus Coast is heavily populated with stunning beaches, perfect for a beach day out to wash your worries away. So, bring your towel, picnic basket or even a kayak for a coastal adventure. Our Beach Recommendations:
- Little Manly Beach – A quiet beach with calm waters and picturesque views of Auckland city
- Big Manly Beach – A beautiful long sandy beach, perfect for swims, water activities and strolls
- Okoromai Bay – A tidal beach in Shakespear Regional Park which is fantastic for gathering cockles
- Stanmore Bay – The perfect beach with beautiful white sand, majestic sunsets and a skatepark and playground for the kids to enjoy. It also has a recently discovered secret rock pool – a must-visit in the Coast!
2. Explore Tiritiri Matangi Island Wildlife Sanctuary
Secondly, you can surrender your senses to the magic of Tiritiri Matangi Island – a truly world class, unique and unforgettable experience. Just hop on a 20 minute ferry ride from the Gulf Harbour Ferry Terminal and discover rare native birds, regenerating forests, walking tracks, the lighthouse and the Tiritiri Visitor Centre. A guided tour and walk to identify bird species and bird songs is also available.
If you are interested in visiting Tiritiri Matangi Island, coupled with accommodation – Whangaparaoa Lodge provides Tiritiri Matangi Accommodation Packages including: Ferry tickets, 2 delicious cooked breakfasts and 2 packed lunches for your Tiritiri Adventure.
3. Tee Off at our Premier Golf Courses
On the other hand, you can treat yourself to a round of golf in a stunning location. The Hibiscus Coast is surrounded by several breathtaking golf courses in Auckland – including: Gulf Harbour Country Club, Whangaparaoa Golf Club, Wainui Golf Club, Southhead Golf Club, Muriwai Golf Club and Helensville Golf Club.
Looking for a Golf Stay & Play Package? Whangaparaoa Lodge can arrange bespoke Golf Accommodation Packages for you to enjoy challenging golf, amazing activities and exquisite local dining as part of the experience staying with us on the beach at Little Manly.
4. Hit the Slopes at Snowplanet!
In addition, why not give snow a go at Snowplanet in Silverdale – New Zealand’s only indoor snow resort. Ski, snowboard or snowtube all year round, perfect for some family fun and suitable for all levels. Snowplanet makes it easy for you and has all of the essential equipment available for hire or purchase, if you don’t have your own. They also offer various lessons and snow programs which are worth checking out.